Men’s Journal aims to feature only the best products and services. We update when possible, but deals expire and prices can change. If you buy something via one of our links, we may earn a commission. Questions? Reach us at [email protected].
Guys, it’s time to stop stealing your partner’s skincare products. We know, we know: Their carefully lined-up bottles of skincare items are perched on your bathroom counter and hogging all the space – but your skin may have different needs.
If you’re already following a skincare routine, we applaud you. If you’re here to get started, welcome aboard. Taking care of your skin is a vital part of self-care and grooming, especially as you age. Good skincare can mean the difference between pimply, stressed-out skin and a wrinkle-free, blemish-free face.
But maybe you’re the kind of guy who thinks skincare routines don’t matter. If that’s the case, we’re here to change your mind with our ultimate guide. We’ve talked to skincare experts to find the best products to get you started.
You might already know the basics: cleanse, exfoliate, moisturize, sunscreen. If you want to get into the nitty-gritty of skincare routines, scroll past the list of top-rated products to find in-depth instructions and methods on how to care for your skin and find the right items for your skincare regimen.
1. Blu Atlas
You’ll need the best products if you want to follow the best skincare routine for men. Blu Atlas formulates the finest skincare products on the market today, and makes it super easy for men to follow a skincare routine that works.
When Blu Atlas formed, they decided to do things a bit differently. Ditching cheap fillers and harsh ingredients, they formulated products made from 96% to 100% natural ingredients, which are also vegan and cruelty-free. The formulas were tested rigorously alongside a team of dermatologists to ensure each product was an asset to the brand – and to your skin.
It doesn’t matter if you’re keeping things low-key with a basic skincare routine or turning things up a notch and using every skincare product available – Blu Atlas has it all. For the simple gents, we recommend sticking to the essentials: Volcanic Ash Face Cleanser, Exfoliating Scrub and Face Moisturizer.
For those who want to graduate from basic to top level, we recommend adding Blu Atlas’ Vitamin C Serum, Purifying Face Mask and Restorative Eye Stick. The image above shows the Advanced Skincare Kit. It’s perfect for men who know what they’re doing, or those who don’t, but want the best for their skin.
While you’ll need to find a routine and lineup of skincare products that work best for you, you really can’t go wrong with Blu Atlas – it’s one of the industry’s best brands for men.
If you’re unsure what products you’ll need to get started, head over to the Blu Atlas website and take their quiz. The short quiz will help you customize your routine based on your skin type and concerns.
Blu Atlas provides the safest, most effective products to start your new skincare routine today. See you on the other side – where your skin is glowing, vibrant and blemish-free.
P.S. If you’re interested in saving big bucks, check out the Blu Atlas subscribe & save program. It gives skincare devotees the chance to save up to 20%. And who doesn’t want to save 20% in this economy?
If the best skincare brand for men doesn’t tickle your fancy, then how about the second best? Kiehl’s is a brand that proudly formulates products for men and women, and has created a range of skincare products targeting issues that men face.
Ready to build your skincare routine? Start with the Facial Fuel Energizing Facial Wash and follow up with the Energizing Moisture Treatment for Men. The Facial Fuel Starter Kit for Men has everything you need to get started (minus a good exfoliant and sunscreen), and it’s ideal for guys who want to get started without the fuss.
Kiehl’s products are paraben- and sulfate-free and are made with high-quality ingredients. Guys who want to upgrade from a basic skincare routine to an advanced regimen can easily do that. Kiehl’s makes products for every skin type and offers eye creams, serums, targeted acne treatments and more.
Looking for products that are kind to both your skin and your wallet? CeraVe is a trusted skincare brand that formulates unisex products to treat every skin type and concern. Men and women have been using these well-loved products since 2005.
At the heart of CeraVe’s formulas, you’ll find a blend of skin-supporting ceramides that help repair disruptions in the skin barrier. A weak skin barrier often results in irritation like redness, but with CeraVe’s skincare line, you ensure your skin stays strong and healthy.
What does a basic skincare routine with CeraVe look like? Start with their Foaming Facial Cleanser, Renewing SA Cleanser, Acne Control Cleanser or Hydrating Facial Cleanser – depending on your skin type – and follow it up with a moisturizer. Our top picks for men are the Moisturizing Cream, which works wonders for guys dealing with dryness or irritation, and the AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion with Sunscreen – because dual moisturizers and sunscreens are a great way to save money.
Want to ratchet up the experience from “basic” to “next level”? Then you’ll be interested in CeraVe’s Skin Renewing Night Cream (our favorite to tackle early signs of aging and stay young forever), Eye Repair Cream, Hydrating Hyaluronic Serum (a magic potion for men with fine lines and wrinkles), Skin Renewing Retinol Serum and their fantastic line of serums.
Build your skincare routine with a trusted brand, and keep your piggy bank nearly full while you’re at it. CeraVe offers the perfect skincare routine for men who want to dip their toes into the waters of skincare at an affordable price.
All black and matte – Lumin’s products practically scream, “I am man. Hear me roar!” The brand’s team of scientists has formulated a range of products suited for the skin and hormonal needs of men.
The skincare requirements of men and women are different. Men’s hormones create thicker and rougher skin. Lumin’s team has developed a range of products that penetrate this thicker skin while providing maximum absorption and effectiveness.
You can follow a simple routine and use the Charcoal Cleanser, Exfoliating Rub and Moisturizing Balm. But if you’re interested in an even better time, you can cozy up with the Dark Circle Defense (an eye cream that can rub off all those late nights), Anti-Wrinkle Serum and Recovery Oil (it can’t recover lost items but it can recover the health of your skin).
Lumin provides the best skincare routine for men who want to target thicker, rougher skin.
The Ultimate Guide to Skincare Routines for Men
It’s cool and healthy to take care of your skin. Learn everything you need to know about skincare regimens and find one that fits your lifestyle.
Basic Skincare Routine for Men
Guys, we’ve got you. Here’s the best simple routine for men who are always in a rush or who simply hate following any kind of grooming routine.
- Cleanse: Use a face wash or cleanser when you wake up in the morning. (Squeeze it in during your morning routine.) You can even store a cleanser in your shower so you don’t forget this step. Face wash will remove dirt, sweat and bacteria that gather on the skin and will prep the skin for the next step. In the evening, cleanse your face to start your bedtime routine.
- Exfoliate: You only need to exfoliate twice a week to reap the benefits. Exfoliants will help keep skin clear and smooth by eliminating dead skin cells. Choose between physical and chemical exfoliants to keep your skin fresh. Chemical exfoliants work best for oily and acne-prone skin, and help regulate oil. Follow the instructions on your exfoliant, and don’t use more than the recommended amount. Exfoliants should be used after cleansing in the evening and before using moisturizer.
- Moisturize: Round out your morning and evening skincare routine with a facial lotion. Hydrating your skin is important. It keeps your skin in tip-top condition and acts as a barrier against external stressors. It’s essential that you use a moisturizer in the morning and evening. If you’d like to elevate your routine, use a daily moisturizer in the morning, and use a nourishing, hydrating face lotion in the evening to give your skin a little rest and relaxation.
- Sunscreen: When prepping your skin in the morning, you should always add a powerful SPF on top. Shielding your skin from harmful UV rays protects the skin while defending against premature signs of aging. When following an evening skincare regimen, you can skip this step.
A More In-Depth Skincare Routine
Do you want something more rewarding than a simple skincare routine? With a more active routine, you can go from basic to actively treating your skin issues.
For this more advanced regimen, keep the simple routine listed above (cleanse, exfoliate, moisturize, sunscreen), and include other treatments like serums, face masks, eye creams, toners and spot treatments.
- Eye creams: These little buggers can get pricey and blow your skincare budget to smithereens, but they also improve and protect the most delicate area of skin on your body. Eye creams are ultra-concentrated products that improve issues like dark circles, fine lines, wrinkles, puffiness, crow’s feet and more. Apply eye creams after cleansing and exfoliating your face, but before other products like face lotion, toners and serums. You can keep this step simple and apply it once daily, but twice daily may yield the best results.
- Serums: Think of serums as magic potions that can target all types of issues, like blemishes, dryness and red patches. Serums, especially those formulated to hydrate and nourish the skin, elevate any skincare routine. Apply serum after you’ve cleansed and exfoliated the skin but before moisturizer.
- Face masks: We know what you’re thinking: “Aren’t face masks those weird-looking things for women?” While they are a bit weird-looking, they’re definitely not just for the ladies. Face masks tend to fall into one of two groups: nourishing or cleansing. They each offer deep-cleaning or nourishing effects and do wild things like remove excess oil from pores (in other words, they act like a vacuum for the skin) or hydrate the skin with rich ingredients. Face masks are a one-time-use product, and using them once a week is ideal. We recommend using a face mask after you’ve washed your face but before other steps in your routine, like serums, eye creams and lotion.
- Toners: Men with oily skin are likely the only ones who need to toss a toner into their skincare lineup. Toners balance the skin while regulating oil production, which helps it stay moisturized without causing breakouts and blemishes. Using a toner can be a bit tricky. We recommend applying it after cleansing and using a physical exfoliant (which you may use up to twice a week), but before other products like serums, chemical exfoliants, eye creams and moisturizers.
- Spot treatments: Get rid of hyperpigmentation, acne and other types of blemishes with spot treatments. They’re the superheroes for men who deal with zits, acne scars or marks, and hyperpigmentation. Apply spot treatment products after cleansing and using exfoliants and eye creams, but before applying items like serums and moisturizers.
How to Shop for Skincare Products
There are two important aspects to any skincare routine: the skincare regimen and the products you use. Choosing products that work well for your skin type and concerns will give you the best long-term results.
Ingredients make or break a skincare product. The cherry on top is all-natural, organic ingredients that provide incredible benefits for your skin without causing unwanted side effects or reactions.
To improve your skin and provide better results, look for natural ingredients like aloe vera, shea butter, witch hazel, bakuchiol, vitamin C, argan oil, algae extract and jojoba oil. Other ingredients like retinol and hyaluronic acid work wonders for your skin and help with issues like hydration and signs of aging.
Ingredients to Avoid
As you’re browsing the internet or walking down the skincare aisle, be on the lookout for ingredients that you don’t want to be using. Harsh chemicals and ingredients make their way into wellness and beauty products for various reasons – some kill bacteria and give products a longer shelf-life; others make fragrances longer-lasting.
These common “filler” ingredients are harsh on the skin and often cause unwanted reactions like redness, itchiness, dryness, inflammation and bumps. Avoid toxic ingredients like sulfates, parabens, phthalates, artificial colors, synthetic fragrances, lanolin and mineral oil.
What’s Your Skincare Budget?
Let’s imagine you’ve found the perfect skincare brand, but there’s one catch: Buying all the products for your routine will cost a small fortune. We’ve all been there, and unfortunately, some of the best skincare brands have a shockingly high price tag.
The good news is that, with the rise in popularity of men’s skincare brands, there’s a wide range of products that you can choose from at different price points. When looking at your skincare budget, consider if you’re following the three- or four-step simple skincare routine or if you’d like to amp things up with some side action from goodies like serums, eye creams and face masks.
Taking care of your skin can get pretty pricey. Create your ideal skincare budget and stick to it. Remember that you’ll need to purchase products every one to three months (depending on your usage).
A simple routine consisting of effective products with high-quality ingredients should cost between $40 and $80.
Tips and Tricks for a Better Skincare Routine
These are our hot tips and tricks to help you get the most from your skincare routine.
Stop Using Your Girlfriend’s Skincare Products
Seriously, stop using your girlfriend’s or partner’s skincare products just because they’re there. Your other half likely has different skin concerns and issues.
First, figure out your skin type, and then purchase affordable products. Then they can join your partner’s products on the bathroom counter. Your skin will thank you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to use serums or eye creams?
No, you don’t have to use extra products like eye creams, serums or spot treatments. Stick to a simple skincare routine if that works best for you. The best skincare routine is one that you’ll stick to every day of the week – even when you’re running late or are short on time. But if you think your skin looks a bit sad around the eyes or needs extra hydration – and you have the time and budget to squeeze it in – add new products like a hydrating serum or wrinkle-reducing eye cream to your lineup.
What’s the best skincare routine for men?
The best skincare routine for men comes from Blu Atlas. With products specifically formulated to treat the needs of men, their skincare regimen can tackle every skin type and concern. Every skin-loving ingredient will enhance and improve any skin concerns or issues you may be having and turn you into a skincare devotee.